(BPT) – The holidays are a time to celebrate with family and friends. Whether you are hosting a large party or are planning to keep it simple with just a few guests, chances are you are looking for ways to deck the halls inside and out to create Christmas cheer.
You aren’t alone. According to a recent survey by Kmart and Shop Your Way, decorating is the favorite way to prepare for the holidays – with shopping for gifts a close second.
Eighty-two percent of respondents say colorful and classic best describe their decorating style. Whatever your style, decorating should be fun, affordable and easy. Here are seven design tips from Kmart’s celebrity designers Sandra Lee and Jaclyn Smith sure to make your house the best on the block, and help you create a warm and festive destination for the holidays.
According to Lee, the designer of the Sandra by Sandra Lee line available through Kmart, the keys to transform your home during the holidays are listed in the tips below.
* Add a splash of color to the front door. Hanging a wreath on the front door is a common holiday tradition. If you have a favorite wreath you hang each year, add a touch of color to this classic piece by decorating your wreath with colorful holiday ornaments. The wreath will look instantly refreshed, and your guests are sure to take note of the added sparkle.
* Look for decorations that can do double duty. Planning to host an elegant dinner one day and a fun children’s party the next? Color Switch Plus LED Lights allow you to change your holiday lights from classic white for the dinner party to fun flashing multi-color for the kids, with just the press of a button. Switching up the holiday mood is easier than ever.
* Don’t forget the classics. Whether your style is modern, traditional, or eclectic, there’s always room for timeless and definitive holiday items. Place homemade gingerbread men, popcorn on a string or a festive crimson garland throughout the house for the perfect holiday touch.
* Keep it simple. Look for trees that are pre-lit, and purchase decorating kits to save time when it comes to decorating. Kmart offers other time-saving options like same day delivery of large items like Christmas trees, and integrated retailing – shopping from mobile, store or online.
Collections from the Jaclyn Smith line are ideal for adding warmth and elegance to your home during the holiday. Here, Smith offers three tips to get you started.
* Begin holiday merriment outdoors. Complement your outdoor decor by filling large planters with garland, metallic twigs and twinkling white lights. If you have a covered porch, consider hanging ornaments or mistletoe to get your guests in the holiday spirit before they even step through the door.
* Bring your entire home into the season. By switching out throw pillows on your sofa for festive pillows, and hanging garland from the chandelier, your home will already begin to look transformed. Simple touches like this can go a long way toward achieving your desired holiday look.
* The Christmas tree is always the focal point of any home around the holidays. Decorate your tree with elegant gold or silver ornaments and ribbon. To add extra flare to your tree for your family and guests to enjoy, create a light show in your living room synchronized to your favorite holiday playlist with the Holiday DJ.
By following these simple holiday design tips from Sandra Lee and Jaclyn Smith, you will be sure to impress your friends and family this holiday season.
If you are planning to attend a holiday party this season, don’t forget a host or hostess gift. Consider a gift that gives back, like the St. Jude Bear Ornament from Kmart, with $1 from each purchase donated to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
To learn more about what Kmart has to offer this season, visit Kmart.com, or Sandra and Jaclyn’s pages on ShopYourWay.com.