(BPT) – Cooler temperatures, dwindling daylight that makes you crave a mood boost, and the approach of the holidays – at this time of year, many inspirations prompt people to redecorate. But while you’re breaking out the holiday decorations or looking for just the right shade of yellow to make your kitchen look brighter on short winter days, don’t overlook another powerful decorator’s trick – scent.
1. Essential oils can make your home more beautiful. In decorating your home you use visual and textural elements but scent-ual elements are just as critical to establishing a beautifully realized ambience. Essential oils offer aromas to match any living scheme you are aiming for. Going for an airy, fresh look? Diffuse eucalyptus, peppermint and lemon. Going for an earthy, natural look? Diffuse vetiver, patchouli and myrrh. Going for a tranquil, relaxed look? Diffuse lavender, geranium and chamomile. Carving out a sacred space? Diffuse sandalwood, frankincense and neroli.
2. Essential oils are the perfect holiday home decoration. If you desire an inspired and perfectly appointed holiday home, capture the essences of the holidays with essential oils which are a lot more “real” than a box of tired old holiday decorations. The true scents of the season come from essential oils contained in botanicals such as balsam fir boughs, fresh pine needles, peppermint leaves, cinnamon bark, vanilla beans and clove buds, not a spray can of artificial fragrance. Decorating with pine boughs and candy canes can work to bring those scents into your holiday home, but if you want to boost the effect without turning to synthetic room scents, diffuse pure essential oils. Consider pure, natural products like Aura Cacia’s Uplifting Candy Cane room spray that is crafted with real essential oil of peppermint leaves and extracted essence of Madagascan vanilla beans.
3. Essential oils can make you happy in your home. The post-holiday letdown, colder temperatures and the dwindling daylight of winter will make you crave a mood boost that the sunny scent of essential oils can deliver when the sunlight fails. Essential oils are like happy drops of liquid sunshine. Many people experience a mood dip when days get shorter and there is less natural light entering their homes. Inhaling the wholesome, natural scents of essential oils awaken senses and elevate our emotions. Spritely scents such as peppermint or citrus can help energize a room and invigorate occupants.
4. Essential oils can make your home healthier. With all their harsh and potentially dangerous chemicals, how can home fragrance and cleaning products be labeled as home “care” products? Essential oils offer an equally effective alternative to freshen and purify your home that is natural and safe. Instead of reaching for a bottle of that blue stuff that smells like – well, window cleaner – try making your own glass cleaner from four tablespoons of vinegar and 12 drops of lemon essential oil. Mix the vinegar and oil in a clean 22-ounce spray bottle, fill with water and use this sunny smelling mixture to clean glass throughout your home.
5. Essential oils can help you sell your home. Baking cookies or burning the ubiquitously cloying artificial vanilla-scented candle are cliched seller’s tricks meant to help you sell your home. Essential oils offer better alternatives of countless aromas that are novel, natural and infinitely more appealing to buyers. Want a squeaky clean aroma? Diffuse lemon, bergamot orange and lavender. Want a comforting, homey aroma? Diffuse allspice, cinnamon, clove and sweet orange. Want an exotic, intriguing aroma to pique a buyer’s curiosity? Diffuse jasmine, mandarin orange and myrrh.